Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Special Memory Jar - 2013

As we ring in the New Year I pause to reflect, as so many of us do. One reason I started this blog was to convey my thoughts, my gratitude for the amazing things in life and my experiences and have them, somehow, preserved in time.



I decided to do an online Memory Jar. 
Jan 1st, 2013

Every year as a child, my mom and I would break the bread cubes up together in preparation for her amazing Turkey Stuffing. This morning my son and I did this together for the first time. 

Sidebar: 

For some strange reason I have not been able to find the large bags of pre-cubed bread like I could back home, until the other day. While out grocery shopping the clouds suddenly parted and I found them!!! As I danced a jig (aka happy dance) I snagged 3 large bags in the event I never see them again. 



This is where it all began!!!
These things are impossible to get most of the time in Eastern Canada. 

Breaking the bread cubes with my Mom was part of the fun. 

Onions, Celery, Fresh Parsley and yummy Butter!!!

Spices: poultry seasoning, sage, marjoram, thyme, dried parsley, salt and pepper

I didn't have any homemade chicken broth, so this will have to do.  

Mix in the sauteed veggies. 

Add in the spices and mix. 

This is where I had to stray from my Mom's tried and true method. 
My Mom always used a large double boiler and steamed her stuffing with chicken broth in the base. It totally infused the bread cubes with the flavours and moistened them, but did not leave them totally soggy. I don't have one of those glorious things, so I had to use my crock-pot instead. 
45 minutes on High Heat, then Low for 4-8 hrs, depending on when you want to eat. 
Anyways, this morning as I made my Mom's turkey stuffing recipe, I felt strangely homesick and started missing my Mommy immensely. You see, since moving across country we have not seen my Mom & Dad for almost 2 years. My whole life I have been close with my parents and my son was equally close with his Grandparents, despite us living 5 hrs away, by car. 

So it's special memories like breaking bread cubes that make me miss her all the more. The care and attention she put into cooking and caring for her family. She was an amazing housewife, homemaker and most of all, my Mom. 

May you all have memories like this to share with your own children in 2013. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to provide comments, however, I ask that you be kind with your words. I will delete posts as I see fit and if they do not follow the above rule or are somehow harmful to others. Thank you.